Friday, November 4, 2016

Oct 31- Nov 4th

This week students began a unit on drugs. Students will learn specifically how drugs affect the pre-frontal cortex, limbic system, and other parts of the brain. Students learned this week how the teenage brain has more changes than a brain of a 3 year old and the brain of a 30 year old.  As we began  this unit I asked students what they knew already and if they had learned this in a health class or else where. Many students shared why they will never do drugs. Some reasons included:  "I have seen what drugs can do to a family, and I never want my family to go through this" . I am happy to see students willing to discuss drugs and their impact as well as family stories. I am very happy to see how students are trusting one another with with sharing family stories. We will continue to talk about drugs next week followed by in depth research of the human brain.

Also this week Emily, YESS college navigator came to North to help students apply for scholarships and even apply to college. I am very excited to see many of our seniors getting accepted into colleges.


No comments:

Post a Comment