Thursday, May 25, 2017

Final two weeks


For the past two weeks students have been working hard to get their grades up, and to complete missing assignments for all of their teachers. It has been amazing to see and hear mentors motivating their mentees to work hard.  Yesterday I was signing senior check out sheets and a student told me, "Ms. I can't believe I am graduating! If I had to do it all over again I would have tried harder. I didn't really care and I only wanted to get by. I try to tell my mentee to not be like me and to really make an effort." I was surprised that we were having this conversation, and what made this conversation even better, was that his mentee was listening to the conversation.  This student went on to tell me that his "ah- ha" moment was when teachers, counselors, and Emily asked him about what college he was going to. That moment made everything real. He had to start thinking about his future.

He went on to tell me that he was looking at school requirements and he did not meet these requirements. He then looked at his mentee and said, "don't close all the doors for yourself now, you don't want to be a senior and wish you could go here or there."

These last two weeks have been long and very busy, and something I have learned while being at North is that mentors really own up to the role of being a mentor. These mentors care for their mentees, not just academically, but really care for their future and life.  I am very impressed with these students. It has made my transition from Shaw Heights Middle School to North High School easy.  I am excited to see many mentees become mentors next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment